Sunday, August 10, 2008

Dinner Rolls.

So I've talked about Spunko's before. Well our best sellers was dinner rolls. The recipe comes from my "business partner's" mom. The recipe became something I would cook if I wanted to impress. Then I met my husband who from the very beginning raved about his sister-in-laws, Katie, rolls. So my days of 'I'll bring the dinner rolls' ended. My niche in potluck dinner had already been filled. But after taking the rolls to a church picnic and seeing them practically vaporize (they were the only non-store-bought rolls I think that's why they went so fast) I decided to post the recipe.
Well here is what you need. Water (not pictured, if your unfamiliar with water let me know, I'll make a post about it and how to make it.), yeast, oil, white sugar (I'm not racist towards white sugar though, you can also use honey, or go ahead try brown sugar tell me if it works), salt, flour, and an optional egg (Meaning you don't have to use the egg. Don't go to the store and ask for optional eggs you won't find them.).

Oh my I almost forgot an ingredient, the best ingredient... butter... mmmm butter. So today I used margarine. I am racist against margarine. The idea of margarine makes me go bleh. If you're gonna add fat use the good stuff. But I'm trying to cut down spending everywhere and margarine is a lot cheaper so I tried it. Oh and when I made rolls dinner night I had an extra table spoon or melted butter and what did I do with it? I ate it... plain... yeah, that is right, I dipped my fingers in it and licked it off my fingers. So, to keep from adding some more junk to my trunk, I used margarine today.

As far as equipment you'll need a rolling pin of sorts. See mine? I made it when I as a kid. A pastry or bread cloth helps a lot. And you'll want a mixer with a dough hook. You can also make the dough in a bread maker. Oh and a cook sheet (preferably with sides) and an oven or some other high intensity heat source, but your on your own if you use any other cooking method than an oven.

Okay we're ready now. Let's go.Here we have the water, sugar, and yeast. Every time I make any bread I think okay I'm going to let the yeast activate before moving on. So supposedly there is something going on under that cloth. I heard someone describe the yeast activation as an orgy going on under the cloth and you just need to wait for the party to finish. However, I disapprove of orgies and don't have the patience to wait. So I just move on. Maybe my sister-in-law let's the orgy happen and that's why her rolls are better (although I'm sure she wouldn't call it an orgy).

Okay I'm back (did you realize I went away?). I had an epiphany. There are two types of yeast. Some yeast need you have to activate first. These are the dirty inappropriate yeasts that require an orgy. Other yeast (the kind I use) are clean and moral, this yeast is often called bread machine yeast. They don't require the activation. So really, my lack of patience is cool for once. Phew. I feel better now.

Moving on, add everything but the flour and give it a little mixerew.


Yummy looking huh. Uh-oh...Looks like I'm out of flour. Looks like your on your own from here. Good luck.

Just kidding, I have more flour. Did you really think I was going to leave you on your own.

Okay add some flour. Go ahead. Do it, add a cup or two or four. NO STOP TOO MUCH! Just kidding.


Oh boy, Not enough flour Getting closer.Now we're getting there. See how the dough is starting to make make a ball on the hook. Good sign. Let's check it.

I look we're close. Go ahead touch it. A little bit should stick to your finger but not this much. Add another half of cup or so. Oh boy it's ready. Turn the dough onto your floured pastry cloth and give it a knead or two. Them cover it and let it rise. This is where I should say, I only made a half recipe. If you make a full recipe you should cut it into two or three even pieces. This is when patience come in again. Last time I made these rolls for Brett I was determined to let the dough rise. So I covered it and walked away for almost a half an hour. Those were big fluffy rolls. And what did Brett say? I like these but I like them denser. So this time it was 5, maybe 10 minutes of rising and moving on.


Okay roll it out. Every time I roll the dough out I think of the song from Clueless, the one that Brittani Murphy and the jerky guy dance to at the party, that says "rollin' with my homies. Now cut it into fourths and them each fourth into thirds.Like this. Now is the fun part. Take each 12th and give it a bath...A butter bath. I think I'd personally enjoy a butter bath. I might get in the bowl myself... oh wait no, this is margarine, bleh.
Okay, slap it down there on your cookie sheet. Shmear it around in the butter so both sides are covered. Them start rollin' in my homies again.And keep rollin'.I'm tempted to but eyes on it.

Can you consume sharpie?? Do I need to throw this one out? Just kidding! I used photo shop. He's cute though huh. If I weren't married and he were dipped in butter I mike give him a kisserew! Okay let's finish up here I'm hungry.

Oh wow, I'm fast.

What? What is that? Is that a pig? Trying to eat my rolls? I THINK NOT! Okay. Go off. Enjoy.

You're still here? Leave.

It's over. What? You want what? The actual recipe. Oh fine here it is.

  • Dinner Rolls
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 2Tbs yeast
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 egg (optional)
  • Bake at 400 till golden brown (10-12 minutes)

Okay. Ya good? Got it? Enjoy. There no Katie's rolls but their good.

Okay I admit it. I kind of copied Pioneer Woman on her style of recipe sharing. But it's just so much more fun than the boring old recipe and directions. And it's not that I'm trying to be like her... more like she showed me it's okay to let my freak flag fly.

No comments: