Friday, July 25, 2008

SPUNKOS


Spunkos at work

When I was in fifth grade my best friend (also my neighbor down the street) started a business we called Spunko's F&H (or H&F i don't remember which). The F&H were from our last names. We started by selling random odds and ends in front of her house. Most of our customers were our own family members. One random guy bough a 25 cent sprite from us and gave us a whole dollar. Well as summer progressed my friends mom started giving us produce from their garden to sell. That sold a little better. But when her mom gave us some fresh Cinnamon rolls to sell we found our niche in the business world. Selling fresh bakes goods. Well we moved our business from a by the mailbox business to a delivery business. Every Monday afternoon we would call up some of the people from church as say: "Hi Sister/Brother _____ this is Margaret from Spunko's we were wondering if you'd be interested in buying some freshbaked goods which we will deliver on Friday. We would offer a couple different cookies, fresh bakes bread and dinner rolls. Looking back we offered them at pretty good prices too! In one summer we made over $100!!! Of course our parents "donated" all ingredients and gas to make the deliveries.
My favorite thing to do every Friday afternoon was to pretend we were on a cooking show. I don't know where i got this idea from. It was before we had food network on our TV. We would even premeasure ingredients into little bowls like they do on cooking shows. I think the reason I'm recounting this story is because I really enjoy posting recipes but I feel silly. So this is my explanation of why i post recipes, especially the recipes with pictures (which you'll see shortly in my next post): It is fulfilling my childhood dream of having my own cooking show.
So... if you like reading through the recipes I post, especially if you ever try one of them and like it (or don't like it), let me know. Here or some random picture of me and food growing up



Tapioca Pudding
Cream Cheese

Frosting Fresh Bread


A cake for my dad

Cookies (I really liked putting rollers in my hair as a kid)

Picking raspberries. YUM!

No comments: