Friday, July 25, 2008

Crepes

This is my mom's recipe for Crepes. She says to make the batter the night before and let it sit but I'm not one to plan far enough ahead to do that. Now my mom doesn't use recipes or measuring cups so this isn't going to look like a normal recipe.

Eggs (I used six eggs)
milk: equal volume to eggs ( six eggs had a volume of 1 1/3 cup milk so I used 1 1/3 cups milk)
sugar: for six eggs about 1/4 cup (for 3 eggs use 1/8 cup sugar, 4 eggs 1/6 cup sugar ect...)
flour: equal to volume of milk or eggs ( for me 1 1/3 cup)
salt
vanilla (I think i probably used between 1/2 and 1 teaspoon of these last two)
Blend in a blender. Try not to over blend but just enough to remove and flour lumps.

Over medium heat preheat a 10 inch shallow skillet. The pan I used is almost totally flat and works perfect but any shallow pan should work. Also it's best if it's non-stick.

Pour probably about 1/2 to 3/4 cup into pan.


Pick up the pan and tip to spread the batter over the bottom. Immediately pour the excess batter off. If the pan is not hot enough then not enough of a layer will be left in the pan to form a crepe. If the crepe comes out too thick then either pour the batter off quicker or turn the heat down a bit.

Let sit just few seconds, maybe thirty or less. This is a good time to gut off the flap made by pouring off the excess batter. If this comes off the pan easily in one piece the crepe is probably done. If the Crepe is as thin as it should be you won't need to flip it over and cook the other side. But if the crepe is on the thicker side you may want to cook the other side just for a few seconds.

There is lot's of different fillings to put in crepes. Crepes can be sweet or savory. Ask anyone who has spent much time in europe and they'll say they see crepe stands all over with cheese filling, chocolate filling... My personal favorite is a fruit filling with whip cream. Using blue berry, cherry, or raspberry canned pie filling. I made my own raspberry filling.

Raspberry filling. (also works with blueberry)

6-8 oz of frozen berries
~1 Tbs. cornstarch
~2 Tbs. sugar

Place berries (still frozen) in a shallow microwavable bowl. Sprinkle sugar and cornstarch over berries. Cover with a paper plate. Microwave on 80% power, stirring every two minutes, until the juice from the berries if clear and slides slowly off the spoon.

I also didn't have any whipping cream so I creamed cream cheese, a touch of powdered sugar and a splash of milk. Place filling of your choice in the crepes and roll.




Brett also filled his with Nuttella and a touch of the raspberry filling. This was really good and tasted like Christmas.
Before I moved this from my other blog a friend left a comment saying she used this recipe and like it. It made me so happy I was sad I lost the comment...

No comments: