Friday, July 25, 2008

GERMAN PANCAKES

When I was young my mom had to go to Pocatello (think) for ski patrol and I had to go with her. She took me out to breakfast before hand at Smitty's. (The best place for breakfast. IHOP/Denny's... everything pales in comparison) I got a German pancake with blueberry toppings. My mom told me that when her and my dad were dating they went to Smitty's for breakfast and she got a German pancake. Ever since i have loved German pancakes from Smitty's 1) because they are delicious and 2) because they remind me of my mom. I've always looked for a good recipe. I've never found anything as good but this recipe from Real Simple magazine's website is pretty close

picture from Real Simple's website
3 large eggs

1/2 cup all purpose flour

1/2 cup milk

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 tablespoons butter



Heat oven to 400 degrees

Whisk eggs to combine. Whisk in flour till smooth. Add milk, salt, and vanilla and mix. Add butter to a large cast iron skillet. Place in hot oven until butter is melted. Add batter to the hot skillet and return to oven. Back until puffy and golden brown, about 15 minutes. The recipe called for a drizzle of lemon juice and dusting of powdered sugar. It also recommended spreading jam over the top.

I didn't like the lemon juice as much but the powder sugar was good. I didn't have any jam so i used a little strawberry cream cheese. I also don't have a cast iron skillet so i used Brett's dutch oven. It turned out good. I think it was just a little thicker because i used the dutch oven. Also the recipe said the recipe yields four servings. Brett and I split one and it wasn't enough so.. maybe four very small not very filling servings.

No comments: