Monday, August 18, 2008

F is for Failure

Well I've made my first inedible meal of our marriage. This last weekend I decided that I would, for the first time, roast a chicken. Actually I was only going to roast 1/3 of a chicken. If you've ever seen one of my mom's homegrown chickens you know that an entire chicken would feed a small army. The entire experience was awful. First we didn't set the chicken out to defrost early enough. So I tried the microwave, that was a failure. The microwave cooked the chicken around the edges and made the meat smell weird. So finally I put the chicken in lukewarm water to warm up. My short patience kicked in and before long I was rinsing the 1/3 chick and plucking out pin feathers. The whole time cursing whoever slaughtered the chicken and left so many darn pin feathers knowing full well it was probably me that did it. Once the chicken looked presentable and didn't have a weird smell to it I set about seasoning it and trying a recipe my mom had told me about. Then it was into the oven. I called my mom about an hour into the baking to ask how long to cook it. I panicked when she said only about 45 minutes. Well I checked it and it was in no way done. So it was back into the oven for another half hour or so. Finally I thought maybe it's done. So I pulled it out and cut into it only to find an almost still pumping vein in the leg. While keeping at bay my upchuck reflex I asked Brett if we can just through it out. He said no and put it back into the over. Another half hour or so later he declared the chicken done and pulled it out. Now I don't like dark meat to begin with, add to the fact that it's poorly prepared dark meat and I don't want to touch it. Brett chivalrously at the entire drumstick (which is quite large on one of my mom's chickens). I ate two bites and then added milk, sugar, cinnamon, and coconut to my milk and enjoyed my dessert.

While initially I declared I'll never roast a chicken again and wondered why I want to raise chickens if the only part I eat is the breast meat, I've decided the root of the grossness was the not completely thawed state of the meat. Thus perhaps maybe I'll try again. Hopefully with less pin feathers.

No comments: